Sign Up For Alerts
There are many services in our region that will give alerts from not only local governments, but also regional transportation alerts as well. The way that alerts are delivered vary by the service: some are text alerts, while others are through Twitter and even Facebook. These alerts can be a valuable source of information in the event of a local emergency such as a power outage while you still have access to a charged phone.
- Capital Alert delivers emergency text alerts to your phone from city or county governments in the national capital area. Just sign up for capital alerts in your jurisdiction.
- Pepco: 1-877-737-2662
- Dominion Power: 1-866-366-4357
- BGE: 1-877-778-2222, 1-800-685-0123
- Potomac Edison: 1- 888-544-4877, 1-800- 686-0011
- NOVEC: 1-888-335- 0500
- SMECO: 1-877-747-6326, 1-888-440-3311
- Rappahannock: 1- 800-552-3904
- Washington Gas Company: 1-800-752-7520
- WSSC Water: 1-800-828-6439, TTY – 301-206-8345
The American Red Cross can help find a shelter near you, or by texting SHELTER + your zip code to 43362 (4FEMA).
Weather Related Emergencies
- The National Hurricane Center
- FEMA hurricane website with information on what to do before, during, and after a hurricane.
- Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency hurricane information page.
- The American Red Cross has created a downloadable Hurricane App that is available on both iPhone and Android platforms that gives users instant access to local and real time information on what to do before, during and after hurricanes, and more. The Red Cross has also developed a First Aid app. Download Red Cross apps.
General Emergency Preparedness
- Emergency Preparedness for Federal Employees in the National Capital Region (PDF)
- Official Fairfax County Emergency Preparedness Website
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Ready.gov: Prepare. Plan. Stay Informed.
- Flu Guidance
- Are You Ready? A Guide for Citizens Preparedness
- 2010 Telework Enhancement
- OPM updates closure procedures; no excused absences for pre-approved paid leave
- Post-Disaster Reunification of Children: A Nationwide Approach
- Federal Government Dismissal and Closure Policy
- See Something, Say Something